Re: psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "jira"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Григорий Никоноров <grigory(dot)nikonorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "jira"
Date: 2007-11-27 16:16:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

"=?KOI8-R?B?59LJx8/Sycog7snLz87P0s/X?=" <grigory(dot)nikonorov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I try to start JIRA with PostgreSQL 8.2.5 and have an error - psql: FATAL:
> Ident authentication failed for user "jira" when i check JIRA log files.
> Then i try command psql -U jira -d jiradb -h localhost and i got the same
> error !

> Pleasee see my pg_hba.conf

> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local all all password
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host all all 0.0.0.0/0 trust
> host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host all all ::1/128 trust

Well, that error message is entirely impossible given that pg_hba.conf,
because you don't have ident auth selected anywhere. So I conclude that
either (1) you're looking at the wrong pg_hba.conf file, or (2) you
changed the file but forgot to SIGHUP the postmaster (pg_ctl reload)
afterwards.

BTW, your pg_hba.conf seems a bit silly --- why try to enforce passwords
on Unix-socket connections when the door is wide open on local TCP
connections? Also, do you realize that "0.0.0.0/0 trust" is in fact
allowing trust access to the entire IPv4 Internet?