Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, William Bloom <wbloom(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 7.4 to 8.1
Date: 2006-08-31 18:09:53
Lists: pgsql-admin
> What are the exact options?  I tried to reproduce it here, using a 8.1
> and 8.2 pg_dumpall, and a 7.4 server, and couldn't.

>> CREATE ROLE "";
>> ALTER ROLE "" WITH NOSUPERUSER INHERIT NOCREATEROLE NOCREATEDB LOGIN;

> This is weird anyway -- do you really have a role named "" (empty
> string)?

It's not "empty string", it's '\003' as shown by the failure:

query was: SELECT useconfig[1] FROM pg_shadow WHERE usename = E'\003'

The problem is evidently that appendStringLiteral tries to use E syntax
in an inappropriate context, ie, while talking to a server that doesn't
understand it.  This is fixed in HEAD (by using appendStringLiteralConn)
but I'm not sure if there is any very good way to fix it in the back
branches.

In the short term, Naomi's best workaround is surely to drop or rename
that user ... it hardly seems likely that the name is anything but a
typo.