Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date: 2004-07-01 04:33:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net> writes:
> Not sure how worthwhile others will find this small patch (to CVS HEAD),
> but we found it useful.  It adds the column comments to the
> information_schema.columns view.

This question has been touched on before, but I guess it's time to face
it fair and square: is it reasonable for an SQL implementation to add
implementation-specific columns to an information_schema view?  One
could certainly argue that the entire point of information_schema is
to be *standard*, not more, not less.  OTOH I do not know if adding
an extra column is likely to break anyone's application.  Comments?