Re: Referencial Link with ODBC

From: Craig Addleman <CraigA(at)SHARECHIVE(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Referencial Link with ODBC
Date: 2002-12-18 21:10:04
Lists: pgsql-odbc
I finally following up on this, Hiroshi. The problem is that although
foreign keys are detected by ERWin, cascade options for foreign keys are
not. Same for MS Visio. (I will send you an image off-list so you have a
better idea of what I mean.) As a DBA for a company about to sign contracts
for several projects (finally!), I am not looking forward to managing
cascade_on_delete/update/insert options for every table in several schemas
in a production and development databases without some kind of GUI tool.
(Hey, how do you other Postgres dba's do it? Someone mentioned Rational
Rose, but I haven't tried that as the company work for can only afford one
pricey software tool.)
We're currently running PostgreSQL 7.2.1, sood to upgrade to 7.3, using
ODBC3.0.
With ERWin a very popular, perhaps the leading, program among Oracle dba's
for generating ERD's it would be helpful to have Postgres interface with
them as well as Oracle or SQLServer does.
Being a dba as opposed to a driver developer, I really don't know what ERWin
or Visio need to see what FK cascades are doing, but perhaps this
information can be gotten from Computer Associates; URL (disguised so
Outlook doesn't break it): xxx3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260.
Any chance this could find a place on your list of TO DOs?
Craig Addleman
DBA
ShareChive, LLC
San Francisco