AW: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Philip Warner'" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...
Date: 2000-07-03 08:49:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> It just occurred to me that I may be missing something...do you mean you
> would prefer to avoid the 'COPY' commands as the backup technique? If so,
> think that's best left to somebody else (or me, but not now, and probably
> not until the WAL is implemented).

Yes, that was what I was thinking. I don't see a conflicting area with WAL.
I would see this as an extension to libpq and how it handles binary cursors
across different platforms.

> Also, defining your own output format is pretty easy; the new
> code defines
> a top level interface (for pg_dump and pg_restore) and an archiver
> interface (for output file formats), if you really want a
> different format.

Sounds like you are doing a great job :-)

My favorite defaults would probably be -Fc -Z0 as you noted in another
posting.

Andreas

Previous:From: Zeugswetter Andreas SBDate: 2000-07-03 08:39:12