AW: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Philip Warner'" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: AW: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...
Date: 2000-07-03 08:39:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> At 09:56 3/07/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:
> >
> >> - the default output file format is a custom format with compressed
> >> sections (the data dumps). It is NOT a text file.
> >
> >Can this be turned off, or made to be feature, that you can
> turn on ?
> >Imho most dumps will be piped to a locally
> >optimized compressor (a tape, a storage manager, lzop, ...) anyway,
> >thus most of the time a backup would compress twice.
>
> Yes. The default is now plain text for compatibility with the original
> pg_dump (and with pg_dumpall). But by going to plain text
> output you gain
> none of the features of pg_restore (reordering, selection etc).

Could the text format be changed in a compatible way,
that would allow pg_restore's features ? I am thinking of inserted comment
lines that describe the needed sections.

Imho the new default format does not need to be compatible
with pg_dump's output. I would still not compress by default.

Andreas

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Zeugswetter Andreas SBDate: 2000-07-03 08:49:21
Subject: Re: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...