AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...
Date: 2000-07-03 08:18:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > As suggested I have now added a '--plain-text, -p' option to pg_dump
> > to dump it into text.
>
> The *default* action of pg_dump should be to write plain text and to
> standard output. Changing that will certainly make a lot of
> people very unhappy.

Imho the default should be text for anything except data. The data should
imho
be in a format similar to a binary cursor. I say similar, because this
format should
probably be converted to a network byte order, so you can restore on another
hardware. Imho calling type output and input functions during backup/restore
is a substantial overhead that would best be avoided.

I agree, that the output should not be compressed by default.

Andreas

Next:From: Zeugswetter Andreas SBDate: 2000-07-03 08:28:05