AW: [HACKERS] Revised proposal for libpq and FE/BE protocol chang es

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SARZ <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] Revised proposal for libpq and FE/BE protocol chang es
Date: 1998-04-30 07:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi there,

You seem to be doing very much thought in this area ;-)
One idea strikes me though:
A standard ODBC Call Level Interface exists !
Why not try to get the ideas for libpq from there ? Maybe we could even
implement those
same functions.
A small extract:
SQLPrepare
SQLExecute
SQLFetch
SQLFreeStmt

On the discussion of the protocol, I would suggest using and looking into
pvm3 at ftp://netlib2.cs.utk.edu/pvm3
this would open a wide area of low and high speed client server protocols
like: ipcshm, unix domain sockets, and native access to high performace
interconnects.

I use it to communicate from backend user defined functions with a neural
network
simulator. It simplifies the communication substantially.

Andreas

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> Here is a revised proposal that takes into account the discussions
> of the last few days. Any comments?
<snip>