Re: Makefile for parser

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Makefile for parser
Date: 2000-07-01 05:43:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com> writes:
> On the topic of make, have you all read "Recursive Make Considered
> Harmful" at http://www.tip.net.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

I read it, I don't believe a word of it.  The whole thing is founded on
a bogus example, to which is added specious reasoning and an assumption
that everyone wants to use GCC as compiler plus a nonstandardly-patched
version of GNU make.  This is not the real world.

The Postgres build setup is certainly far from ideal, but IMHO the only
thing *really* wrong with it is that we're not constructing accurate
dependency lists by default.  I believe Peter E. is planning to
fix that...