Re: Performance of COPY for Archive operations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance of COPY for Archive operations
Date: 2004-09-17 15:09:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> Nothing that surprising there, though I think I would like to put a WARNING
> message into the Archiver that triggers if more than CHECKPOINT_SEGMENTS WAL
> files are ready to archive at any one time. Though maybe that would cause
> more problems than it would solve: "Archiving of transaction logs cannot
> keep up with system activity. If this occurs regularly, you should
> reconsider your database-disk layout"

Can't see the value of this.  The problem will be readily apparent from
growth of the pg_xlog directory --- anyone who doesn't notice that
probably isn't perusing the postmaster log either.  Also, once it starts
to bleat, what's going to make it stop?  Filling the disk with warning
messages won't be a constructive improvement on the situation :-(