Re: Deleting old archived WAL files

From: Jaume Sabater <jsabater(at)linuxsilo(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deleting old archived WAL files
Date: 2008-10-31 14:24:09
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jaume Sabater wrote:

> So, should I set the archive_command parameter to any of these?
>
> 1. exit 0
> 2. cp %p /dev/null

Just checked and both worked fine. Did 30000 transactions per 10 concurrent clients with pgbench and the pg_xlog/ folder never went beyond the initial size (files were rotated inside pg_xlog/, none archived, no errors in the PostgreSQL log).

I think I'll stick with the "exit 0" one, as the cp would have to read the file (although it would probably be in the cache of the kernel as it was just written?).

Now on how to change the archive_command in runtime without having to modify the postgresql.conf file, if possible... :P

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"