Re: [INTERFACES] Problem with regression test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim(dot)Lemon(at)uts(dot)EDU(dot)AU
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Problem with regression test
Date: 1999-06-30 14:06:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jim Lemon <Jim(dot)Lemon(at)uts(dot)EDU(dot)AU> writes:
> Regression test failed at this point:
> select_views .. ok
> alter_table .. ERROR: Unable to locate type name 'dt' in catalog
> ERROR: Relation 'tmp' does not have attribute 'k'
> ERROR: Unable to locate type name 'dt' in catalog
> ERROR: Relation 'tmp' does not have attribute 'k'
> ok

These "ERROR" messages are in fact normal log output during the
regression test ... but they shouldn't be appearing on your screen!
I think that when you started the postmaster, you forgot to redirect
its stdout and stderr into a log file per the instructions. The
regression tests will usually generate something like 50K of log output
(since they deliberately provoke a lot of errors...)

> rules .. failed

That's a little more disturbing, but you'll need to look at the
regression.diffs output to see if the difference is actually meaningful.
I suspect there are still a few queries in the rules test wherein the
order in which tuples are displayed is platform-dependent ... don't
worry about it if the differences turn out to look like that.

> at this point, the program apparently hung (using over 90% CPU) for
> several minutes, until I killed the 'regression' process as root.

Patience, my boy ... the last 'numeric' test is pretty slow, but it's
not hung.