Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Date: 2010-09-03 14:07:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> elog(FATAL) is *certainly* not a better idea. I think there's really
>> nothing that can be done, you just have to silently ignore the error.

> Hmm.. some functions called by a signal handler use elog(FATAL), e.g.,
> RecoveryConflictInterrupt() do that when unknown conflict mode is given
> as an argument. Are these calls unsafe, too?

[ shrug... ]  I stated before that the Hot Standby patch is doing
utterly unsafe things in signal handlers.  Simon rejected that.
I am waiting for irrefutable evidence to emerge from the field
(and am very confident that it will be forthcoming...) before
I argue with him further.  Meanwhile, I'm not going to accept anything
unsafe in a core facility like this patch is going to be.