Default privileges for 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Default privileges for 7.3
Date: 2002-09-23 15:13:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> 7 . 3 O P E N I T E M S

> functions no longer public executable
> languages no longer public usable

Although it's reasonably easy to fix no-privileges problems for
functions after you load a dump, it occurs to me that the same does not
hold for PL languages. If a newly created language doesn't have USAGE
available to public, then any function definitions in your dump are
going to fail, if they belong to non-superusers.

I am thinking that the better course might be to have newly created
languages default to USAGE PUBLIC, at least for a release or two.

We might also consider letting newly created functions default to
EXECUTE PUBLIC. I think this is less essential, but a case could still
be made for it on backwards-compatibility grounds.

If you don't want to hard-wire that behavior, what about a GUC variable
that could be turned on while loading old dumps?

Comments?