Re: garbage in psql -l

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: garbage in psql -l
Date: 2009-11-24 19:11:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> why  8.4 has no real problem ?

Because we never tried to use utf8 table decoration before.  This
is collateral damage from Roger Leigh's recent patches.

The problem is evidently that Oleg is depending on ~/.psqlrc to
set client_encoding the way he wants it, but that file does not
get read for a "psql -l" invocation.  (Probably not for -c either.)

The locale environment really isn't at issue because we do not look
at it to establish client encoding.  Perhaps Oleg should be setting
PGCLIENTENCODING instead of depending on ~/.psqlrc, but I suspect
he's not the only one doing it that way.

There has been some talk of altering the rules for setting psql's
default client_encoding.  We could think about that, or we could
back off trying to use linestyle=unicode without an explicit setting.
If we do neither, I suspect we'll be hearing more complaints.  I'll
bet there are lots of people who are using database encoding = UTF8
but don't actually have unicode-capable terminal setups.  It's never
hurt them before, especially not if they aren't really storing any
non-ASCII data.