Re: RAISE concatination/variables in plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RAISE concatination/variables in plpgsql
Date: 2001-04-19 18:08:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> In the plpgsql docs it has the following example:
> RAISE NOTICE ''Id number '' || key || '' not found!'';
> When I put a function round this statement it gives a compile error at the
> |.
> Also when fiddling if I put a variable first it complains about that
> variable (eg key || '' val.....'')

Looking at the plpgsql code, it's clear that what's actually implemented
is
	RAISE level string-literal [ , variable [ , variable [ ... ] ]
which is pretty bletcherous; seems like it should accept a list of
expressions instead.  But for 7.1, I guess this is a documentation bug
rather than something to change in the code.