Re: ORDER BY and NULLs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mailreg(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ORDER BY and NULLs
Date: 2004-09-19 20:30:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

T E Schmitz <mailreg(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de> writes:
> Greg Stark wrote:
>> Which book is it?

> PostgreSQL by Korry Douglas + Susan Douglas, ISBN 0-7357-1257-3; Feb 2003

Hmm, I've heard of that book but never seen it. The authors are not
participants in the PG community --- AFAICT neither of them have ever
posted anything in the mailing lists.

> The paragraph continues:
> "If the SELECT command included the clause WHERE phone NOT NULL,
> PostgreSQL could use the index to satisfy the ORDER BY clause.
> An index that covers optional (NOT NULL) columns will not be used to
> speed table joins either."

My goodness, it seems to be a veritable fount of misinformation :-(

I wonder how much of this is stuff that is true for Oracle and they just
assumed it carried over?