Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning
Date: 2008-01-12 20:42:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 11:57 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It would be far *more* useful if it didn't have to be superuser-only.
>> And since the actual details of the snapshot content are really of
>> zero interest to the user, I think making it pass through his hands
>> is simply misdesign.

> No, its deliberate, because I want this to work on prior releases. I
> didn't clearly explain that, sorry.

Why are you trying to get the community to do design for things that
are certainly not going to appear in any community release?

In any case, even if you were trying to back-port this to prior
releases, I don't see how exposing the innards to clients will make
it any easier.  All the hard parts will be the same.