Discarding the resulting rows

From: "Murali M(dot) Krishna" <murali1729(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Discarding the resulting rows
Date: 2010-04-26 17:43:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Hackers:

Two questions.

1.

I would like to execute queries such as

select * from part and time the query. But I want to ignore how much time is taken for printing the result to a file or the screen.

Basically, I would like to discard the result rows after doing all the work required to execute the query.

I looked at the documentation and I saw something about using the keyword PERFORM rather than SELECT.

I tried PERFORM * from part;

But this gave me a syntax error.

Please let me know how this can be done.

2.

How do I clear the buffer caches between two query runs?
I believe this is not possible in Postgres. Can someone please confirm this or tell me how it may be done.

Thanks,

Murali.

Please visit NumberFest.com for educational number puzzles & mind exercises for all ages! And please tell your friends about it. Thank You!