Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to -

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to -
Date: 2006-06-05 17:58:27
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> 2) GUC_DISALLOW_IN_FILE flag is ignored during configuration file parsing.

Yeah, that's not enforced at the moment, it's just documentation.
Most of the variables that are marked that way have other defenses
against being changed from the file, so I'm not sure that it's real
important to have a specific check for it.

> 1) Try to change internal  variable in the config file is silently
> ignored during reconfiguration.

Note that there are two separate behaviors: during postmaster startup,
errors in the config file are cause for aborting.  During SIGHUP reread,
errors in the config file may NOT cause an abort.  This is intentional.
The postmaster (and only the postmaster, not the N backends that are
also rereading the file) is supposed to emit a log message about any
problems, but it mustn't error out.

> I think that set_config_options is too huge and very overloaded.  By my
> opinion divide to small functions is necessary to fix this behavior and
> its increase maintainability.

Feel free to propose a suitable refactoring.