Re: damage control mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-12 18:32:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
> <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> wrote:
>> You sound like you want to drop the last Commit Fest and prepare beta
>> instead.

> I think I was pretty clear about what I was proposing in the message
> with which I started this thread - bump some or all the big,
> outstanding patches to leave more time for stabilizing the tree.

> Almost everyone said "no". That's the community's decision and I
> accept it, but IMHO it's a tacit decision to slip the release.

I don't think that was the conclusion. What I thought we were saying
was that we didn't want to bounce those patches in advance of any CF
review at all. But IMO we should put the larger patches on a very short
leash: if they don't appear pretty clean and trouble-free, they should
get postponed. We need to minimize the time spent on new patches, but
we don't have to drive it to zero.