Re: Vacuum Question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pascal PEYRE" <peyre(at)cir(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum Question
Date: 2003-02-22 02:41:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Pascal PEYRE" <peyre(at)cir(dot)fr> writes:
> I have some big postgreSQL databases (4/5 GB at start) on this server.
> Every night I erase data and I import a lot of new data.

Exactly how do you erase the old data? If you're zapping the entire
contents of tables, TRUNCATE might be a good answer.

> For optimize my database I operate a vacuum "all" every night.

Plain vacuum, or vacuum full? If it's a plain vacuum, do you have the
free space map parameters (in postgresql.conf) set large enough to cover
your database?

> The problem is that the size of database is growing every day whereas
> the volume of data stay remains stable.

Exactly which tables are bloating? Look at the relpages column of
pg_class (just after a vacuum, so that the values are up to date).
Look to see which entries grow from day to day...