Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date: 2007-02-27 17:36:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Jim C. Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> writes:
> So would you set commit_fsync_delay on a per-transaction basis? That
> doesn't make much sense to me... I guess I'm not seeing how you would
> explicitly mark transactions that you didn't want to fsync immediately.

My assumption was that most of the time you'd want this behavior
per-session and so the existing mechanisms for setting a GUC variable
would work perfectly well.  If you really want it per-transaction then
changing the variable on the fly is possible (perhaps using SET LOCAL).
You'll be issuing nonstandard commands either way...