Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes
Date: 2009-09-26 15:43:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> AIUI the problem is that when logging_collector is on, we throw away
>> the original stderr. That's OK as long as you never try to switch
>> back to it.

> BTW, this seems like it could be fixed with some appropriate file
> descriptor management in postmaster. No?

Yeah, probably. In the current system design it didn't seem to be
necessary because collecting the collector process's own stderr output
is usually not all that critical. If we had the postmaster dup its
original stderr and the collector dup it back, that would be a more
complete but more complex solution. (dup2 works on Windows, no?)