Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,Karim A Nassar <Karim(dot)Nassar(at)NAU(dot)EDU>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time
Date: 2005-03-29 14:56:41
Lists: pgsql-performance
Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> If there were some way to pass a "limit" into SPI_prepare that was treated
> similarly to a LIMIT clause for planning purposes but didn't actually
> change the output plan to only return that number of rows, we could use
> that.

Hmm ... the planner does have the ability to do that sort of thing (we
use it for cursors).  SPI_prepare doesn't expose the capability.
Perhaps adding a SPI_prepare variant that does expose it would be the
quickest route to a solution.

I get a headache every time I look at the RI triggers ;-).  Do they
always know at the time of preparing a plan which way it will be used?