Re: 7.3b2 initdb fails with semaphore error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3b2 initdb fails with semaphore error
Date: 2002-10-01 14:20:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com> writes:
> I think the bug here is that this message advertises that I can change
> the "max_connections" parameter to address this, but there does not
> appear to be a way to do this.  The max_connections option is located
> on my system at /usr/local/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
> (prior to initdb)

Hmm ... actually, I don't think the max_connections parameter is used
during standalone operation.  It looks like the code uses a hardwired
value of "16".  We could reduce that (there's probably no good reason
why it's not "1"), but I suspect your SEMMAX parameter is so small
it will fail anyway :-(

Would you try changing "16" to "1" in InitCommunication() in
src/backend/utils/init/postinit.c, and see if that helps on your
setup?