RE: comparing rows

From: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: comparing rows
Date: 2000-08-04 08:12:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
> > Please don't. It seems true that Microsoft has enabled a mode for
> > SQL Server, but the main problem was Access. And Access 95/97 has
> > a huge installed base of users that would not be able to use its
> > automated query tools with PostgreSQL.
>
> That was what I was afraid of :-(.  Question though: if MS has changed
> the default behavior of their server to be (more)
> SQL-compliant, aren't
> these folks being forced to update their Access installs anyway?
> Presumably those old versions do not know how to select the
> non-default
> behavior of SQL Server, so they're gonna be incompatible with newer
> servers despite the nominal presence of a workaround.

Can somebody enlighten me as to *when* Access creates a query that has
"=null" in it?

I just tried to reproduce it, and I failed.

I type		Access 97SR2	Access 2000SR1
------		------------	--------------
=NULL			Is Null		=Null
IS NULL		Is Null		Is Null
<>NULL		Is Not Null		Is Not Null
IS NOT NULL		Is Not Null		Is Not Null

Seems to me that Access 2000 *allows* you to write =Null, but if you write
"Is Null" (correct), it will leave it alone. And <>NULL is always converted
to Is Not Null.

I don't have any Access 95 around - but it's so old that hardly anybody
should be using it anymore, right? :-)

Problem is that it's too easy to change your MS SQL Installation to work in
"the old way". Simply have the clients click in a box when they create the
ODBC datasource. The downside of backwards compatibilty is not forcing
people to fix their stuff :-)

//Magnus

Next:From: Mike MascariDate: 2000-08-04 09:15:11
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] pg_dump/restore to convert BLOBs to LZTEXT (optional!)