RE: [INTERFACES] SSL and ODBC

From: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "'Thomas Lockhart'" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] SSL and ODBC
Date: 1999-10-01 07:58:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> > I presume that the ODBC driver uses libpq underneath
> (either statically or
> > dynamically loaded) to talk to the server.
>
> Actually, no! libpq requires a cygwin environment, and (perhaps) there
> was a worry about performance (though that doesn't seem to be an issue
> to me). So the ODBC driver is completely standalone. The downside is
> that it requires separate maintenance, and I'm pretty sure that there
> are some arcane issues which don't get fixed there when they change in
> libpq...

No, that is not correct. libpq does *not* require the cygwin environment -
it can also be compiled as native Win32.
However, the ODBC driver still does not use libpq, because when the ODBC
driver was born, libpq did not exist on Win32.

//Magnus

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: SAKAIDADate: 1999-10-01 08:24:57