Describe command alternatives in postgresql

From: Vaduvoiu Tiberiu <vaduvoiutibi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Describe command alternatives in postgresql
Date: 2010-11-06 09:37:10
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello,

this is my first post on this list. I'm trying to migrate my application's database from MySql to Postgresql. One of the main problem I'm facing, is trying to find an alternative for the "Describe" command. In MySql you can call "Describe XX" where xx can be the name of the table/view in your database. In Postgresql I can call "select * from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where table_name = XX". This works, except I also have a lot of views in my database, for which Describe worked ok in mysql. But in Postgresql it seems I can't find a command that would work both on views and tables. Does anyone know an equivalent function or a workaround for this?

Thank you in advance.
Cheers

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Vaduvoiu TiberiuDate: 2010-11-06 10:00:00