Re: BUG #3999: Panic with "invalid string enlargement request size" after a strange request from JDBC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas Poindessous" <t(dot)poindessous(at)seiitra(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3999: Panic with "invalid string enlargement request size" after a strange request from JDBC
Date: 2008-02-29 15:42:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Thomas Poindessous" <t(dot)poindessous(at)seiitra(dot)com> writes:
> we have some PANIC after a weird error :

> ERROR:  invalid string enlargement request size 1358954492
> WARNING:  AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
> ERROR:  could not send data to client: Broken pipe
> PANIC:  error during error recovery, giving up

This is not tremendously surprising given that the client presumably
disconnected right after sending the malformed message.  I believe the
problem with the write failure becoming a PANIC is fixed as of 8.0.

> We know that we have a very old version of 7.4, we will migrating to 8.3
> RSN, but we would like to know if it's a known bug of the jdbc connector for
> example, or if we have a problem with our application's code.

It sure looks like a JDBC bug to me, but you'd have to ask on pgsql-jdbc
for an authoritative answer.  Not sure if any of those guys read -bugs.