Triggers, Stored Procedures to Aggregate table ?

From: Arvind Sharma <arvind321(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Triggers, Stored Procedures to Aggregate table ?
Date: 2010-07-08 14:27:37
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

Very new to the Triggers and Sprocs.

I have few tables  which stores raw data on minute basis. I want to aggregate
this data  into another table to store every hour worth of data. And from there
on -  from this hourly Aggregated table, want to store into another Aggregate
Table for a day's worth of data.

You got the direction I am  going with this.. :-)....  Hourly, Daily, Weekly
aggregated data into  their respective tables.

I could write some Java code to run  periodically on these tables to transform
them into Aggregate tables but  that would have the overhead (Network, Disk
I/O).   I am wondering if  there is any easy way to be able to write something
at the Postgres  level, where some Trigger will call some Stored Procedure on a
particular table which  will do the Aggregate (min, max, avg) and store that
into a new table.

Any  pointers or suggestions or examples would be highly appreciated !

Thanks!
Arvind

pgsql-novice by date

Previous:From: Atif JungDate: 2010-07-08 13:52:53
Subject: Re: Returning more than one value from a stored procedure