Re: PostgreSQL windows native port available

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <robert(dot)collins(at)itdomain(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL windows native port available
Date: 2002-05-10 10:50:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hmmm. No offence to Robert, but I do not like the Cygwin installer (from a users pov, not a developers). I always seem to be getting hassled to upgrade it, then when I do, I find it does things like preselect the oldest versions of each package rather than the latest. I ran it the day before yesterday, and it didn't complain that it was out of date for once, but did completely fail to parse the file containing the package info on each of about 5 different mirrors that I tried :-(

It is easily possible to create the required installer using Wise or Installshield (yes I know these aren't free), and both these products could make use of the psqlODBC merge module, and install services & ODBC datasources easily and seamlessly which I suspect is more tricky (if not impossible) in the Cygwin installer (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Installer technologies aside, one of the major reasons for this (and the other discussions on pgsql-hackers) is the wish to 'hide' Cygwin from the PostgreSQL user. We need to make it live in C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL, not have a complete unix style file layout, and generally look like a real Windows application. Cygwin is a great environment for working in and porting software, but now that work is done, PostgreSQL (as an application) should use, and expose the absolute minimum of Cygwin to the user.

Regards, Dave.