Re: The service did not respond to the start..

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jason Tishler" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: "Michael Adler" <adler(at)glimpser(dot)org>, "Liviu Taloi" <ltaloi(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The service did not respond to the start..
Date: 2002-05-09 21:45:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Nah, I wouldn't have thought so. Just less time on the same old 'why
does initdb hang?' or 'why did it go horribly wrong when I used Winzip'
questions (and of course, the builds) and more time on the real bugs and
optimisations.

Personnally, I think (from a 'good for PostgreSQL' rather than 'good for
Cygwin' perspective) that the way forward is a Cygwin based system but
using a tailored downloader/installer that installs the system 'like a
Windows app' (and quickly & easily etc.) rather than the current way
which is Windows 'being' *nix. I think that's very offputting for many
potential users (as others have said on the -hackers thread).

Anyway, if that's the way it goes, I'm sure our resident Cygwin expert
will still find plenty to keep himself amused :-)

Regards, Dave.