Re: [HACKERS] Some items for the TODO list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Some items for the TODO list
Date: 1998-07-09 15:25:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
>> Is there a reason that there is not an UNLISTEN
>> command?  (Like maybe it's not in ANSI SQL?)

> I'll add the new statement if you can get the backend to do something
> with it.

Doing something with it is trivial: duplicate the LISTEN code and then
change the call to Async_Listen to Async_Unlisten.  (Async_Unlisten
already exists in src/backend/commands/async.c, though for some reason
it's not declared in src/include/commands/async.h.)

I'd do it if I knew exactly what-all has to be copied and pasted to make
a new SQL statement.

Probably the main question is whether the correct statement name is
"UNLISTEN", or whether ANSI specifies some other spelling ("STOP
LISTEN", maybe?  SQL seems rather Cobol-ish in syntax choices, so I'd
kind of expect a phrase rather than a made-up word).

Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle