Re: Log files cluttered with jdbc3/4 for pg8.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log files cluttered with jdbc3/4 for pg8.2
Date: 2007-06-22 14:00:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr> writes:
>> Well, if you set log_min_messages to DEBUG, as you evidently have,
>> you're going to get a pretty chatty log. You might want to rethink
>> your log_duration threshold as well.

> Yes, I have log_min_messages to DEBUG, but if I set it to INFO, NOTICE,
> WARNING or ERROR I still have PARSE LOG, BIND LOG/BIND DETAIL entries. I
> haven't been able to found what exactley they are, and I'd realy like to
> not have them in my log files.

They're real actions, they take a finite amount of time, and if you've
got log_duration unconditionally enabled then they're going to be logged
so that the system can report its CPU use.

> I need to have log_duration at 0 so I log EVERY call from the jdbc to
> the postgresql because that's excellent way of debuging the dataflow
> from the middle-tier to the application.

That is a job for log_statement not log_duration.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/protocol-flow.html#PROTOCOL-FLOW-EXT-QUERY