Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL-Invoked Procedures for 8.1
Date: 2004-09-24 14:25:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 04:12, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Well, see my thoughts above on differentiating SPs from Functions. I
>> certainly don't think we should be using the same table.

> Using a different system catalog strikes me as total overkill, and a
> surefire way to duplicate a lot of code.

I think that choice will be driven by one thing and one thing only: do
procedures and functions have the same primary key? Which boils down to
whether they have the same semantics about overloaded function names
and resolution of ambiguous parameter types. Personally I think I'd
prefer that they did, but plenty of people have indicated they'd rather
have other features (like defaultable parameters).