Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date: 2009-05-07 17:18:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> 1. pg_dumpall dumps CREATE DATABASE commands that include the source
> database's encoding, lc_collate, and lc_ctype settings ... but if
> dumping from a pre-8.4 server it just omits the lc_ settings.  This
> is flat-out wrong (independently of pg_migrator).  The correct behavior
> when dumping from pre-8.4 is to get the server-wide locale settings
> and include those in the CREATE DATABASE commands.

Actually, there's another issue that comes to mind here: since we are
relying on platform-dependent locale names, including those in the dump
is going to pose a severe problem for porting dumps across platforms
(where "different platform" could even mean "different libc release").
We're already at risk with respect to dumps from 8.4, even without the
above-proposed change.

I am not sure what we can do about this.  Ideas?