Re: Documentation: references to old versions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation: references to old versions
Date: 2013-02-12 15:22:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> The phrasing "as of 8.2" basically means "from 8.2 onwards". Changing the
>> version there would make the text incorrect.

> In theory we could remove that reference completely since any versions
> where it does not apply are out of support since years ago at this
> point. But I don't see a point in doing that just for the sake of
> removing - but if a section is reworded in general that contains such
> references, it could be dropped.

The fact that pre-8.2 is out of support doesn't make this useless
information: many such installations are still out there in the wild,
and people may want to know what techniques will work with them.
I'd be inclined to leave the text as-is until it's been awhile since
we've heard of anyone using pre-8.2.