Re: [HACKERS] HPUX 10.01 build issues and solutions.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mschout(at)gkg(dot)net
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] HPUX 10.01 build issues and solutions.
Date: 1998-10-31 00:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mschout(at)gkg(dot)net writes:
> hpux 10.01 does not define SA_RESTART at all (10.20 does, but 10.01
> does not). To compile under 10.01, you cant define USE_POSIX_SIGNALS
> in os.h I fixed this by just deleting these lines from os.h:

> #ifdef HPUX_10
> #define USE_POSIX_SIGNALS
> #endif

I don't think that will work completely --- it may compile, but you will
not get the right behavior of signals. You need BSD signal semantics if
you don't have POSIX signals, and to get that on HPUX 10 you had better
modify makefiles/Makefile.hpux to link libBSD before libc. In the code
ifneq ($(HPUX_MAJOR), 09)
LDFLAGS:= -Wl,-E -lc $(LDFLAGS)
endif
add -lBSD before -lc.

Since it's not clear where between HPUX 10.01 and 10.20 HP added POSIX
signal support, I can't easily fix this on the basis of testing the OS
version number. That's the wrong approach anyway, really. I am
thinking that the right approach is to stop depending on the port header
files to tell us whether to use POSIX signals, and instead to have
configure auto-detect it. It would be easy to see whether <signal.h>
contains a definition for SA_RESTART, and that probably would do as a
configure test for POSIX signals. (We'd better make sure that the
template files can override the test, of course, in case the platform
has the SA_RESTART macro but POSIX signals don't work right...)

I don't think we should risk a change of that magnitude so close before
a major release, but I will work on it after 6.4 is out the door. For
6.4 we will have to offer the above workaround to anyone who needs to
build for HPUX 10.01.