Re: Array of C integers to temporary table?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: postgres-novice(at)coreland(dot)ath(dot)cx
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Array of C integers to temporary table?
Date: 2009-01-27 19:36:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

postgres-novice(at)coreland(dot)ath(dot)cx writes:
> What's the "correct" (read: simple, efficient) way to
> pass an arbitrarily sized array of C integers to postgres
> and have it turned into a temporary table?

> I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4.

Well, the first thing to do is update to a non-dinosaurian version ;-).
Then you could use multi-row INSERT ... VALUES. (The list of other
benefits is far too long to enumerate here, but I'll just mention that
7.4 is going to stop being maintained any day now.)

An alternative that should work on 7.x is to use COPY FROM STDIN,
but it's not really "simple" from a coding standpoint. See the libpq
COPY-support functions.