Re: Compiling libpq with VC6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Compiling libpq with VC6
Date: 2004-08-18 17:17:19
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>> Not really. The backend will still use the reliable pg_ functions.
>> Frontends continue to use the libc functions, which are totally
>> sufficient in non-concurrent access situations.

> I would like to keep full Unix semantics for these functions even in
> libpq, if possible.

libpq doesn't use either rename or unlink AFAIK. However, if we make
the patch be something involving #ifdef FRONTEND, then it will affect
other code that might want to use those.

One thing that hasn't been real clear to me is why this only affects
fe-lobj.c, when we have many other files that include <io.h> after
including postgres.h.