Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd trigger does not work very well

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd trigger does not work very well
Date: 2000-02-28 08:02:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:

>> If you think that this is okay (and not just a hack), then go for it.

> I consider it a hack, since this particular trigger needs a
> global flag known explicitly by xact routines. I like general
> solutions instead.

Well, really it's pg_pwd itself that is a hack --- we wouldn't need
to be worrying about all this if pg_pwd didn't exist outside the
database/transaction universe. But I don't think it'd be wise to
try to bring the postmaster into that universe, so we're stuck with
a hack for exporting user authorization info.

If we had examples of other problems that could be solved by such
a mechanism, then I'd agree with Jan that we ought to invent a general
after-commit-do mechanism. But I don't recall users clamoring for it,
so I question whether the extra effort is worthwhile.