Re: WIP: getting rid of the pg_database flat file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: getting rid of the pg_database flat file
Date: 2009-08-12 01:10:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Really? And how would pgbouncer be depending on that?

> ==== auth_file ====

> The name of the file to load user names and passwords from. The file format
> is the same as the PostgreSQL pg_auth/pg_pwd file, so this setting can be
> pointed directly to one of those backend files.

Considering that we feel free to whack that file format around, and that
it's stored in a directory that non-postgres users shouldn't even be
able to read, I think this argument is just silly. The only alternative
fix that was proposed in this thread
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-08/msg00094.php
involved changing the flat files into a format that would definitely not
be easily readable by other programs, anyway.