Re: can't startup PG-8.0.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can't startup PG-8.0.3
Date: 2005-06-25 14:46:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland(at)scn(dot)ru> writes:
> I have experience with PostgreSQL 7.x, and I can't figure out why this
> happen. PG didn't
> say anything meaningful, that can point me why he did not start.

That's fairly unusual --- I can't think of any places where the
postmaster will exit without printing *some* complaint.

> I have a command
> su - pgsql -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -d 5 -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data'

Shouldn't there be an & or something in there? Seems like that will
leave the su command blocked waiting for the postmaster to exit,
which of course it should not.

> I even tries to use ktrace(1) :
> ktrace su - pgsql -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -d 5 -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data'

That won't tell you anything --- the trace will only trace what "su" does.
Better to su to pgsql and ktrace the postmaster directly.