Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?
Date: 2009-03-27 16:33:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think this is way over-engineered. All we really need here is a
> command along the lines of RESET ALL AS CURRENT USER that gives every
> GUC the value it would have had if you logged in under the current
> user's account. Simple, clean, no new keywords.

Doesn't do anything for autovacuum though...

BTW, does pg_dumpall know to dump ALTER USER SET settings attached
to built-in roles (such as the proposed "autovacuum" role)? I'd bet
it doesn't do that. Even if it does, that seems like a more awkward
way to push settings over to a new installation than copying your
postgresql.conf file.

Simon's idea of "profiles" sounds worth pursuing to me, but clearly
it's not happening for 8.4.