Re: Database is shutting down

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Anshuman Kanwar <Anshuman(at)expertcity(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database is shutting down
Date: 2002-03-17 21:42:08
Lists: pgsql-novice
Anshuman Kanwar <Anshuman(at)expertcity(dot)com> writes:
> su-2.05a$ psql noc postgres              -- ???
> psql: FATAL 1:  The database system is shutting down

> The same problem occurs if I try connecting from a remote client. Here is my
> process list. As you can see, one other host (10.4.1.134) is happily
> connected (remote).

It looks to me like the postmaster has been told to do a graceful
shutdown, which consists in refusing all new connections while waiting
for the existing clients to finish their work and disconnect.  Your
existing clients don't seem to be in any hurry to disconnect, so
you'll have to go do something about them.