Re: BUG #1865: isinf wrongly dectected under Solaris 9

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen(at)simple(dot)dallas(dot)tx(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1865: isinf wrongly dectected under Solaris 9
Date: 2005-09-10 23:33:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen(at)simple(dot)dallas(dot)tx(dot)us> writes:
> Ugh. I do think that readline 5.0 itself has a minor bug in that ldd
> on libreadline.so does not show a dependency on the curses library,
> even though it is obviously required. This means that the linkage of
> libreadline.so is incomplete.

That's fairly standard I fear. Certainly libreadline is like that on
my Fedora machine (and it doesn't stop our configure script from getting
it right).

It may be that the presence of both libedit and libreadline is what's
messing things up. I seem to recall fixing configure to deal with that
[ digs in logs ... ] oh, here we go:

* config/programs.m4, configure, configure.in: Fix readline/libedit
selection code to prefer readline over libedit reliably (ie,
regardless of which libraries they depend on). Also make sure that
we don't select headers that obviously belong to the wrong one of
the two libraries. This was discussed back around 4-Sep but seems
to have slipped through the cracks. The header selection could be
checked more closely, perhaps, but let's see if this is good
enough.

This fix is present in 8.0 and later.