Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bret Busby <bret(at)busby(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocay(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-30 07:07:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bret Busby <bret(at)busby(dot)net> writes:
> Does PostgreSQL yet allow the user or programmer, to determine where the
> database will be stored?

You speak as though you think that would be a good idea.

In my mind, "where the database is stored" is not a matter for users,
nor for programmers, but for DBAs --- that is, the grunts who have to
worry about backup policies and suchlike. This is not an issue that
should be exposed at the SQL-command level, and therefore it does not
concern either users or database programmers.

That's not to say that we don't have work to do here. There's
considerable interest in developing "tablespace" features to help the
DBA manage his problems. But I absolutely will not buy into any
suggestion that user foo's tables must be stored in user foo's home
directory (even if I thought that Postgres user foo must correspond
to a local Unix user foo ... which I don't ...)