Re: postgres 7.2.1 fails to build on Mac OS X 10.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Drew Wilson <amw(at)apple(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 7.2.1 fails to build on Mac OS X 10.2
Date: 2002-07-29 14:56:21
Lists: pgsql-ports

Drew Wilson <amw(at)apple(dot)com> writes:
> I found a problem and a workaround to get 7.2.1 compiling on Mac OS X
> 10.2, soon to be released.

At this point, changes for 7.2.* aren't especially interesting; could
you check out the portability issue using our CVS tip or a recent
nightly snapshot? (Since the Darwin semaphore support has been
completely replaced in CVS tip, I'm not expecting that your patch
will apply directly.)

Also, diff -c format is preferred for patches.

I assume from your address that you work on OS X, so if you don't mind,
I'd like to rag on you a little about known issues in the Darwin kernel.
Does 10.2 fix the postmaster-shutdown-failure problem? Does it provide
a less painful way of increasing the SHMMAX limit than rebuilding the
kernel from scratch? (Failing that, could we at least get the stock
SHMMAX limit raised to something reasonable, say a few hundred meg?)