Re: pg_upgrade and statistics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and statistics
Date: 2012-03-15 15:51:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On 03/15/2012 11:03 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:22:24AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> I think this could be budgeted under keeping pg_dump backward
>>> compatible.  You have to do that anyway for each catalog change, and so
>>> doing something extra for a pg_statistic change should be too shocking.

>> Well, the big question is whether the community wants to buy into that
>> workload.  It isn't going to be possible for me to adjust the statistics
>> dump/restore code based on the changes someone makes unless I can fully
>> understand the changes by looking at the patch.

> You're not the only person who could do that. I don't think this is all
> down to you. It should just be understood that if the stats format is
> changed, adjusting pg_upgrade needs to be part of the change. When we
> modified how enums worked, we adjusted pg_upgrade at the same time. That
> sort of thing seems totally reasonable to me.

Considering that no pg_dump infrastructure for this exists, much less
has ever been modified to accommodate a cross-version change, it seems
a bit presumptuous to just say "yes we're all buying into that".

If someone were to create that infrastructure, complete with the
ability to support the already-committed 9.1 to 9.2 changes, then
we would have a basis for discussing such a requirement.  But until
then it's moot.